Thursday 17 May 2012

Other Peoples Cast Offs

Where do l start - some people buy shoes, some handbags and some more clothes than they will ever wear me l'm obsessed by other peoples cast offs. I plan my afternoon offs around the location of charity shops, l love a car boots rain or shine and skips outside peoples home keep me going for hours but why?

Why do l love a good rummage looking for that must have item?

Why do l speak to builders and flutter my eyes and hoist my bust for the bit of old tat in the skip or just leaning up outside.

Why do l try and get on first name terms with the men at the tip so if l see something unloved and unwanted they might let me have it.

Why do l get up at some ungodly hour to scour car boots for something l don't need.

What is wrong with me and hoards of other people round the world.

This is how in years to come someone will find me - sat next to an old suitcase crafting (what a way to go)
l would say that this definition of Thrifting describes what l'm about but who knows l may just be having a mid life crisis. And whats your excuse?

Thrifting refers to the act of shopping at a thrift store, flea market, garage sale, or a shop of a charitable organisation, usually with the intent of finding interesting items at a cheap price.
A larger philosophy permeates the act of thrifting which celebrates the recycling of formerly-owned items, finding new use and new love for vintage material goods which had been thrown out, and the thrill of imagining what the former life of the item was like.

No comments:

Post a Comment